Friday, January 17, 2014

Problems with Reformer's emotional-manipulation to create "faith"


In response to this:
Theologians throughout history (read Reformation onwards) have sought to use and shape specific emotions toward pious ends in order to support well-functioning societies. Perhaps the most notorious example is the use of hell to promote fear that would encourage good behaviour. Similarly, teaching salvation as a free gift has been used to arouse gratitude and so shape the personality for virtuous living; the resurrection of Christ has been used to create hope that sustains energy through hardship; and teaching on sin has been used to create guilt to promote self-restraint. That is, believing Christian doctrines to be true, in whatever sense of “true” is intended, usually has effects on the emotions of those who believe them, and such doctrines and emotions are inculcated in order to form people in certain ways for socially salutary purposes. These lectures will explore the interface between Christian doctrine and emotional formation.

OK,
Hell isn't working so well for pastors these days, I liked the movie Hellbound better, the next person who rattles off Hell to me, will have to prove it isn't just an early medieval construct, what on earth are they going to do to scare kids into church in the future?

Sin, I think the Gospel Coalition has just about killed the importance of sin to me, I mean, they try and call anything and everything sin to make people feel inferior, yet theirs is always excused.  Um no, pedophiles (all over CJ Mahaney's church) are not on the same cosmic plane of sinfulness as some kid who stole a cookie, sorry.  Yet they tried to have a "forgiveness" session between the child-rapist and the child, so they could forgive each other!?!?!?!?  What did the kid do?  The Bible doesn't teach that.  Sin isn't flat, Jesus said one who harmed kids would have been better off never born.  So, our sin is just a pathetic attempt to justify bad things that should never have happened.  So much for guilt.

Gratitude?  Look, if God let us live after Adam and Eve, then he would have needed a solution.  Since none of us were responsible for humanity's fall (according to the Penal Substitutionary Atonement Theory), why should we feel so grateful?   I am still not convinced my punishment for someone else's sin was justified in the first place, and if that fall made me a sinner, then it isn't really my fault anyhow, now is it?

So, remove their guilt trips and fear mongering and there isn't much left to bother with in the Reformed movement.

The resurrection is still cool, but the rest?  Seriously? Yawn.  It just doesn't work for me.  Mind you, I have my own "great awakening" in a Vineyard type bible study.  There was no mass repentance, just a call to move towards Jesus and the Holy Spirit broke in and just took over.  It was great.  Now, I need to learn not to live in that past, to move forwards, because if I compare everything to that past time, nothing measures up.  I am just more and more hungry for God, the Holy Spirit and the Adventure.  No one who hasn't been there gets it.  I have been told the only way to have the Spirit break in is to  repent, but we didn't at that point, we just were filled.  So, I know that formula doesn't work.

I like the Christus Victor atonement theory, I haven't made up my mind on Hell/Annihilation/Universalism and I don't trust people who have.


No comments:

Post a Comment